[pct-l] NO BIKES SIGNS

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 18 12:34:53 CDT 2012

Zorg

ahem.....sorry, but you're wrong in that "some members of the list are warming to the idea of [mountain bikes]....and "sharing" the trail (which is code for a hostile take over by the machines).  See my first post on the question of bikes on the PCT.  As stated then, my position is:

"Over my dead body."

And I mean it.  And you can bet I have a LOT of company in that sentiment.  I've invested hundreds of hours these last several years in forming, leading and participating in a trail crew to take care of 40 miles of the PCT that would be heavily impacted by MTB use.  I will not stand idly by and watch that investment destroyed.  I will use all legal means available to prevent that from happening.

Hikers:

My preceding post on this matter is to point out to my hiker friends that should physical barriers / impediments to illegal MTB use be decided upon by the USFS / PCTA, then they should be in a manner that is most effective to deter dirt bag MTBers with a minimal effect on the legitimate users - hikers and equestrians.  Ill thought out barriers are a waste of time and effort for little effect (the "we have to do SOMETHING" syndrome).  Well through out barriers on the other hand might be a solid investment in protecting the trail experience for hikers and equestrians.

Double water bars just above and below switch backs would be extremely difficult to ride, plus would break up the "flow" of the trail.  Mind you hiker friends, flow is important to a nice ride - destroy the "flow" for a biker and they don't want to ride the trail.  Having to constantly stop, get off, get back on, etc would diminish the joy that MTBers get from riding a trail.  One key to placing such obstacles would be in selecting proper ground.  Ideally they'd be placed where the trail is traversing a steep hill side such that no ride around is possible.  Multiple installations on a long ascent / descent on that steep hillside would be ideal to destroy the ability to get any speed up (and hence flow / joy out of the descent).  Another location would be before and after switch backs, where they would disrupt dirt bag MTBers either climbing or descending from making a clean turn.  In flatter ground, in forest, strategic placement where a large
 tree had been cleared would deter a quick ride around, as would placing cleared branches as abatis / natural barbed wire to further extend the ride around barrier.  Timely restoration / removal of illegally installed "MTB friendly" features would also need to be trail crew priority - blocking / restoring user trails around barriers, removal of illegal jumps and terrain features, restoring of proper off camber in switchbacks, etc

Also, most critical in all of this would be continuing to foster a positive relationship with your local PCTA regional rep and USFS personnel.  I have no doubt than the USFS in my area will listen to me versus the MTB folks as we've proven our selves to be top stewards of the trail, while I can point to countless examples of illegally built MTB trails and features, and all the damage done by bikes on "multi use" trails in this area as irrefutable facts as to why bikes don't belong on the PCT.

And Zorg - just because a protruding water bar is old school doesn't mean it doesn't work - it's just that it isn't in a form that provides a 100% smooth trail surface (which is ideal for walking....and riding).  If I had to sacrifice a little smoothness for the sake of deterring illegal MTB use, so be it - a few rocks are nothing compared to the squealing brakes, unnatural speeds, loss of aesthetic / contemplative experience and damage that MTBers would bring to the trail.