[pct-l] Fair to Mountain Bikers??

Heather mom_and_alex at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 23:05:43 CDT 2012

> Zorglub, what the heck is "fair" about messing with an existing trail designation to try to change it for your personal whims?

But remember you are welcome on the trail. It would be Geat to share it with you. I'm just not willing to share it with your bike. So quit acting like you are taking this personally.

My stance will be incredibly unpopular, but here goes:
The PCTA is tasked with preserving the trail. They do so with the support of thousands of dollars and hours of volunteers' time. IF hikers were to collectively band together and agree to suspend all contributions and hiking on the trail for a year or two - pending the outcome of the review to consider wheeled access - well, it's called voting with the pocketbook. I know - easy for me to say, as I wasn't planning to thru-hike for a few more years.

Just a thought.

Did I mention my husband and I rode mountain bikes near Similar Valley (Ca)? Only in designated areas, of course. We learned that it is awful to share trail use at such disparate speeds, for both hikers and bikers, especially where the path is narrow.

I have no concept of the CDT - perhaps in mixed-use areas it is wider?

Also, in my own strictly personal opinion, the people I have met from Colorado - bikers, hikers, wheat farmers and engineers - have been exceedingly polite, more so than other areas of the country where I have lived. That may contribute to a slightly more positive biker/hiker trail experience than occurs on the West coast. Or not.

Finally:
Uh - rules that are blatantly unfair are unfollowed by whom? Oh, rule-breakers. And we should cave in to the threat that you will break any rule you don't find in your favor ... why?? Threats and bullying tactics, hmm.

(No, I didn't care for the "sticks in the spokes" sentiments, either.) Lets be constructive, team!