[pct-l] Wilderness Act and bicycles

Ryan Christensen yosemiteryan at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 19:30:54 CDT 2012

Hi,

Yes- the Wilderness Act bans all mechanical transport in the Wilderness:

"...there shall be no temporary road, no use of motor vehicles, motorized
equipment or motorboats, no landing of aircraft, no other form of
mechanical transport, and no structure or installation within any such
area."

http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fuse=NWPS&sec=legisAct

This has since been specifically interpreted to extend to bikes.

The issue is not sections of the PCT inside designated Wilderness.
Fortunately, they are permanently protected from the destruction bikes
cause. The issue is the portions of the PCT outside of Wilderness.

ProDeal

http://www.facebook.com/SavethePCT