[pct-l] Wilderness Act and bicycles

jimniedbalski at aol.com jimniedbalski at aol.com
Wed Oct 10 19:21:04 CDT 2012

I won't get into all the arguments of the potential troll as identified by Brick, but the statement below (bikes should be allowed in WIlderness as Congress intended) is interesting. Short of reading the full text of the Wilderness Act, does anyone know if bicycles are specifically banned from Wilderness areas? Certainly motorized vehicles are, as we know, but does it ban self-propelled wheeled vehicles? I want to say they are banned, but in thinking about it I'm not 100 percent sure. Naturally, what Congress intended, as opposed to what it actually passed, are two different things.

?- cyclists will use the PCT to go into Wilderness. ?Let me say that bikes
hould be allowed into Wilderness (as Congress intended), but that's beyond the
oint. ?Frankly, if a cyclist wants to go ride in Wilderness, that same person
ill ride the PCT whether it's legal or not. ?So, legalizing the PCT will not
hange whether cyclists go ride in the Wilderness.