[pct-l] Facts matter (Bicycles on the PCT)

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Wed Oct 10 11:35:58 CDT 2012

On 10/10/2012 9:43 AM, Dan Jacobs wrote:
> So, the Act does not prohibit bicycles, in fact states they are a
> potential use of the National Trails System.

Does this include National Scenic Trails? I suspect it does because.....

> You will also see that potential users include motorcycles and four
> wheel drive or all-terrain vehicles.

...when the organizers of the Great Western Trail applied for National
Scenic Trail status, hikers stood opposed to it because sections of the
trail are open to use by motorized vehicles. The did not want a National
Scenic Trail with ATVs on it.

Now we are seeing the same thing here. Hikers don't want a National
Scenic Trail with mountain bikes on it.