[pct-l] Facts matter (Bicycles on the PCT)

James Vesely JVesely at edmsupply.com
Wed Oct 10 11:26:43 CDT 2012

The key word is "potential trail use" safety and logic would dictate
that when there are two potential uses for a trail you should look at
possible conflicts.   Something moving at a potential speed in excess of
30 mph+ on a single lane trail would not go well with something moving
at a speed of 2-3 mph on the same trail and this is why bicycles are
banded from driving on city sidewalks.    For the safety of the mountain
biker and the pedestrian there has to be some separation.   We are not
talking about a single lane mountain road here this is a footpath
designed for foot travel.

I would like ask the mountain bike people if they would think it safe
and prudent for a 60 mph+ motorcycle to use the same paths that mountain
bikes use, the motorcycle is only going twice as fast not 10 times as
fast as in the case of a bike/pedestrian.

Jim