[pct-l] Facts matter (Bicycles on the PCT)

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 10:43:02 CDT 2012

Facts matter.

So I decided to try to find out some facts. I looked up the Act of
Congress that designated the National Trails system. I found it here:

http://www.nps.gov/ncrc/programs/nts/legislation.html

In case there are some that don't want to read through it, here is a
pertinent part of the Act (SEC. 7. [16USC1246] (j)):

"(j) Potential trail uses allowed on designated components of the
national trails system may include, but are not limited to, the
following: bicycling, cross-country skiing, day hiking, equestrian
activities, jogging or similar fitness activities, trail biking,
overnight and long-distance backpacking, snowmobiling, and surface
water and underwater activities. Vehicles which may be permitted on
certain trails may include, but need not be limited to, motorcycles,
bicycles, four-wheel drive or all-terrain off-road vehicles. In
addition, trail access for handicapped individuals may be provided.
The provisions of this subsection shall not supersede any other
provisions of this Act or other Federal laws, or any State or local
laws."

So, the Act does not prohibit bicycles, in fact states they are a
potential use of the National Trails System. You will also see that
potential users include motorcycles and four wheel drive or
all-terrain vehicles. If you're gonna fight something, you gotta know
about it.

My wish is that we can keep the negativity on this list to an absolute
minimum. If we have a superior moral and ethical position on the
matter, we don't show it well with name calling, biting on the shiny
troll bait and lures, and fighting among ourselves. The timing was
awful after the bickering about horses on the PCT. If this is the kind
of "club" I joined, I am thinking twice about whether I want to be a
member.

I spend all day, four days a week with thousands of people that feel
entitled to whatever they want, whenever they want it, and react in
utter shock, disbelief, and anger when they don't get things they way
they want. I don't need any more of that from anywhere else.

Dan Jacobs
Washougal
--
"Loud motorcycle stereos save lives"