[pct-l] Forest Service to consider allowing Mtn bikes on the PCT

randall welch rwelch5 at att.net
Tue Oct 9 22:23:27 CDT 2012

I was hit by a mtb'er in this section. It happened along Holcomb Creek between
the 3N16 crossing and Deep Creek. I didn't even know what hit me until the dust
cleared. I played football in high school and can tell you I have NEVER suffered
an impact like I did that day. I had huge a impact crater/divot in my shin and a
deep laceration in the pulp of my thumb. My two-month old ULA Catalyst suffered
a torn waist belt and the initial impact completely blew my right foot through
the side of my Cascadias. The entire heel cup was severed from the rest of the
shoes uppers. That foot was in tons o' pain but somehow avoided permanent
damage/sprain. There were three riders in this group and as soon as I had taken
a personal inventory of the damage and determined I was "OK", one of the riders
who was obviously tense nodded for the others to run for it......and they did.
Essentially, a hit and run. Did they run because they were illegally using the
trail? Would they have stopped if they were legal users?

Most of these MTB'ers are weekend warriors. They'll be section-impactors. In
most cases their impact will be localised in short sections. These sections will
experience very heavy/concentrated impact and the resultant damages. The
MTB'ers have NO CONCEPT of thru-hiking or thru-travel on this trail. So it would
stand to reason they would have little respect for the fact that indidviduals
might have planned for years, sacrificed years of work/income and committed to
months away from family in order to fulfill a dream. To this point, I'm just a
section hiker...but, if I had been a thru-hiker that day...an MTB'er would've
ended my hike.
Can you guess my position on this issue?
Randy (Sage)