[pct-l] Forest Service to consider allowing Mtn bikes on the PCT

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Tue Oct 9 21:41:02 CDT 2012

Do horses really think we (bicycle riders)want to eat them?
Yes, horses are complete ninnies.  They also think llamas want to eat
them.  The truth is that any horse could kill a llama with one swift
kick.  But the horses don't know that.

I also don't want to see Mt. bikes on the PCT.  I agree that it is a
sacred place that should be reserved for foot travel.  We do a lot of
maintenance in Section C and have encountered bike wheel marks on every
inch of that section over the years.  We have met bicycles head on, on
many occasions (also motorcycles).  We refuse to yield to bikes.  I
stand in front of my llamas with poles planted firmly in front of me and
refuse to move.  I tell them firmly that they are breaking the law and
need to turn around and exit the trail at the first opportunity.  I have
been cursed at and threatened with physical harm.  I have taken
pictures.  Some bikers have simply moved into the woods, waited for us
to pass, and ridden on.  Others have apologized and turned back.  One
memorable encounter was with a doctor I had seen recently.  We
recognized each other.  I told him he was breaking the law.  He said,
the trail should be open to bikes, so I am going to ride it.  He went
around us and kept going.  Section C is riddled with trails and fire
roads and dirt roads that are open to Mt. bikes and motorcycles so I see
no reason why they must have the PCT as well.