[pct-l] Giving way to Mtn Bikes on the PCT

Austin Greavette austin.greavette at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 08:38:46 CDT 2012

After reading all the emails about this, I was thinking the same thing Sir
Mixalot.... Then I got to thinking, of all the challenges hikers face while
hiking and the dangers of getting hurt, wouldn't it absolutely blow to have
to end your hike with 1-3yrs of planning because a mtn biker refused to
yield or came crashing in to us silently over a hill.

I'd be beyond pissed.... thousands of dollars in the crapper.

Someone mentioned in an earlier email about needing to look behind us to
watch for mtn bikers.... Where I live I don't get the trail to myself and
hate having to watch behind me. But what I hate more is being in a zoned
out walk and having the shit scared out of me when they fly by and I was
unprepared.

The trails where I hike that allow mth bikes, has turned from a scenic
trail to a semi road with ruts. Not only are their ruts on the trail, but
off the trail to when they decide they want to avoid the water in their
existing trails.

As a non-us resident, I would re-consider my hike on the PCT if I had to
worry about bikes.

just my 2 cents (Canadian currency of course)

oz