[pct-l] Forest Service to consider allowing Mtn Bikes on the PCT

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 15:47:03 CDT 2012

I spoke with Scout about this issue two years ago during one of the periodic threads involving the increasing prevalence of mountain bikes on the trail.  My point was that the mountain bikers were creating "facts on the ground" to the point where allowing mountain bikes would be, at least to a sizable segment of both their and our communities, merely maintaining the status quo. I felt lobbying Congress on this issue during the annual DC trip by the PCT would help, but not voiced was my concern that adding bikes could be seen by the PCTA as a revenue enhancement mechanism through additional memberships.  Don't forget that many additional positions were added through TARP funding that will inevitably come to an end one way or another.

The response I received was that he felt that the PCTA shouldn't raise the issue because they might lose.  I didn't agree because I felt the passage of time served only to weaken our position. Now that Scout is Chairman of the Board I wonder if the PCTA will take a position one way or another or, if they do, what it might be.  My thought was that wilderness areas should be expanded. However, given their past behavior I'm sure a segment of the bicyclists will violate that prohibition as well.  And why not?  Their past transgressions have been proved to be a winning strategy that was unopposed.  Now may be too late.

I have no doubt that the list is, or will be, monitored by the biking lobby. I cannot fathom how bikes can co-exist with equestrians.   Even as a hiker I've been run off the trail several times.

Sent from my iPad