[pct-l] Wife Buy-In and Contracting Biz Prep For Thru Hike

Kathi pogo at pctwalker.com
Sun Oct 7 11:06:31 CDT 2012

My situation is a bit different, in that before I married my husband he
knew I wanted to thru-hike the PCT. I also do not have children other
than the furry variety. That being said, when I started to assess my
gear a few years back I was met with a tiny bit of resistance but
definitely not a "no". So I kept trudging forward. To my surprise he was
paying attention to the gear research I was doing and I started getting
very nice gifts of gear for birthdays and Christmas.

Then this summer I really kicked things up a notch and started doing
solo trips. That was met with a tiny bit of resistance but again,
definitely not a "no". While I was excited to tell friends what I was up
to, my husband was silent about it. Then suddenly after a 4 day/3 night
(my longest out solo) he couldn't stop telling people what I was up to!
Now he seems proud of my accomplishments. It also made him very happy
that for my last trip I finally got a SPOT device.

After years of asking him to go to the ADZPCTKO with me and then going
alone he said he actually might attend the 2013 event with me!!! Yay! It
also seems to have renewed in him a desire to get out and do things he
stopped doing when he was younger. He's never been a backpacker and I
don't think he will be but that's exciting that I seem to have sparked
something in him to do things he has always wanted to do too. So you
never know what will happen!

If at any time my husband would have said "No" then I would have had to
really evaluate things. I love my husband and don't want to ruin our
relationship so I'm not sure what I would have done. Fortunately that
didn't happen and my incremental approach to going on a thru-hike seems
to be working. The date is still off in the future so who knows what
will happen when I have everything packed and ready to go, but my
husband loves me too and wants to make me happy so just like I am
willing to compromise my backpacking adventures for him, he is will to
compromise being without me so I can do it. Now THAT is a good husband!
I chose wisely!

I personally haven't figured out yet what I am going to do with my
business while I am gone... still working on that one myself!
Good luck! I am sure there are many women on this list, myself included,
that would be willing to have your wife ask us questions about the
trail, etc. so she can get a woman's perspective on things too.
Kathi