[pct-l] Wife Buy-In and Contracting Biz Prep For Thru

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 14:27:57 CDT 2012

Simlair story to Eric's.

I got the thru hike bug years before my first thru hike.  At the time my
youngest was 11.  My wife and I discussed it over and made the decision for
me to do the hike in 7 years - after my Daughter graduated High School.
Figuring that by that time she would be basically leaving home for collage
anyway.  It took me a bit to except this delay but life continued on and
the time passed too quickly as it was.

I actually picked a date 7 years ahead of when I went.  This date I had on
a countdown timer on my computer which would give me the exact time down to
the minute until I would be at the trailhead.  Seven years later I headed
out to Springer Mountain and was scheduled to start on that exact date that
I had picked 7 years earlier.   As luck would have it my flight into
Atlanta was canceled and I arrived a day later than planned.  Interestingly
when I went to hike the PCT a few years later I arranged to start on a
particular date and when I got to San Diego my ride asked if I could start
a day later.  I just smiled at the good luck.  My trail name: Day-Late.
I'm planning to do a thru hike again this coming year.

My wife really didn't sign up for the fact that I would become addicted to
thru hiking - so this is taking some time and adjustment on her part.
Unfortunately this is not an activity we could share for two reasons, one
is physical/medical, but the more important one is you have to really want
to do this and she just doesn't/wouldn't have the desire to.  So dragging
her along would not work for either of us.

No real answers here but if you have to wait, realize that the trail will
still be there for you when you can make it work.
Note to readers: Are you supporting the PCTA so that it will be there in
the future?  If not consider becoming a PCTA member.

Best of luck
Day-Late (AT '07, PCT '09)