[pct-l] Wife Buy-In and Contracting Biz Prep For Thru Hike

CJ & Cristy Miller soggy2pair at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 5 14:00:34 CDT 2012

Slightly related, although "motorcycles" and not thru-hiking.

The end result is the compromises that need to be made from both sides,
more specifically understanding and accepting the consequences of
doing/not doing it/doing sections.

My example is motorcycle related.
My wife & daughers (amazing!) have always supported my riding. I had a street
accident with a car making a U-Turn in front of me and was in the
hospital for a few days.  My wife and daughters were fine with
me getting a new motorcycle.
The next accident was racing related (organized racing, on a racetrack).
I totalled the bike overshooting a corner at 80mph and got up,
dusted off and walked away pissed off at myself.
My wife & daughers, still were okay with me getting another
motorcycle HOWEVER, no more racing.  Their position
was that, there is no need to go over 150mph.  My position is
that it is still safer than riding in traffic with cars making u-turns
on me and putting me in the hospital.
deadlock.
Compromise:  No motorcycles.  The traffic isn't my ideal riding
and I'm willing to concede that it puts too much pressure on
my wife & kids to have me out racing.  I am (now) fine with
that, knowing  that if I want to ride I'll go get a road-bike.

That's my story.  My wife & daughters are worth it!