[pct-l] Electronics and communication

Thomas Jamrog balrog at midcoast.com
Thu Oct 4 12:45:56 CDT 2012

Patrick ,
This is what I used on my 2010 PCT thru hike and I was able to keep up with a Trailjournal no problem.
http://tjamrog.wordpress.com/2010/04/01/electronics-on-the-trail/  I might add that the iPod touch, MIFI, and my Western Mountaineering sleeping bag were the ONLY items that did not break or rip on my PCT hike.
I upgraded to an iPhone in 2011 for a 30 day hike in New England.
I take a separate digital camera to avoid the battery drain on my iPhone, although the new iOS 6 upgrade to the iPhone has a super panorama function and a very easy way to share photos.
I don't use a bounce box.  I had one get lost by the post office once and that was a nightmare, and sometimes they do not arrive when you want them to, or you hit the place when it is closed and have to wait.   Sometimes the bounce box  has arrived but the staff who deals with it makes a mistakes about it not being there when in fact they are there.
Better to keep it simple.

Uncle Tom