[pct-l] Electronics and communication

patrick griffith patrickjgriffith at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 4 06:02:10 CDT 2012

Hi All,

How do people usually stay in touch with each other, and / or family while on the trail? I'd planned on taking the following with me : a small cell phone, a small music device, and a compact digital camera. I'll put the chargers in my bounce box and recharge everything in resupply towns. Does this sound sensible/reasonable? Also, what sort of access do people have to the internet on trail? If i can i'd like to keep a blog going, uploading reports and photos as I go for friends and family back home, but without a tablet computer or a more expensive smart phone (which i don't really want to carry with me for weight and cost reasons) i'm not sure how regularly i'd be able to do this. What do you all do when you're thru hiking?

Patrick