[pct-l] Burning TP

Frank Dumville fdumville at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 3 00:25:58 CDT 2012

Tim,

I learned some common practices when I was a scout that are no longer considered proper wilderness behavior. Time changes and different methods are required.
The problem with buried TP is that it tends to resurface. Animals may dig it up or people don't really do a good job of burying it. If we can get people to pack it out then that problem goes away.
If someone can't bring themselves to carry it out they should at least learn the stirring technique for minimizes the problem. Burning TP is definitely a bad idea.
Packing out TP is now the required practice in the Yosemite backcountry and I'm sure other areas as well.

As for LNT, think of it as a setting a high standard to strive for.
We know we will always leave some trace but we try for none.
Unfortunately, too many people think leaving their garbage on the trail is a reasonable thing to do so we need to set a higher standard.

Snap