[pct-l] Ultralight as a must?

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 23:30:14 CDT 2012

Dear Robin

I am a Japanese living in Japan. I accidentally hiked JMT, and
accidentally joined this community. I frequently do misspelling and
grammatical misuse, but I think many of this member forgive me.  I
learned English speaking only by hikers, so my English is "Hiking
English".  For 3 years, I have read many difficult posts and
discussion, and my brain was stimulated by this mailing list.  I
learned "ultralight hiking" and read their books, and also searched
background evidences  or articles of the discussions. Accidentally,
the publisher wanted to publish my idea of hiking,  and  I wrote and
searched more articles, and wrote "hiking handbook".

There are many articles concerning uphill and downhill walking. For
around 50 years, huge amount of researches are accumulated. I cannot
read them all. But Minetti et al (2001) may be the representative
article.

Minetti, A.E., Moia, C., Roi, G.S., Susta, D, \& Guido Ferretti, G. \
\ 2001 \ \ Energy cost of walking and running at extreme uphill and
downhill slopes.

I have filed their abstract and figure in my site just now.

http://bit.ly/PTdwQA

Very simply speaking, energy consumption becomes double at 5% uphill
and triple at 10% uphill.

So, the dynamic walking model is applicable to the uphill and downhill
condition, simply  WR becomes double at 5% and  triple at 10% uphill.

I think:

When the ultralight hiker walk 150% as compared to normal hiker,
around 5% may be due to the  lightning effect, and around 45% may be
the training effect. But, he never imagine such a thing. He thinks
150% distance  was attained by the lightning effect only.

This may be a "confirmation bias",  frequently observed in the human judgement.

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami  村上宣寛 )