[pct-l] Night Hiking in the Mojave / Vagrancy Issues

Sue Kettles sue.kettles at comcast.net
Thu Nov 29 21:22:11 CST 2012

In 2011, I hiked alone thru that section - in 20 years of hiking, that is
one of two places I felt fairly frightened. I had a man in a water truck
drive by and warn me that this section has a lot of drug traffic and was not
safe for a woman to hike alone.  He told me he was glad I was hiking in
daylight.  Of course, that set me on edge... so when a suspicious looking
guy (would he have felt suspicious had I not just heard to be wary?) on a
motorcycle drove up and wanted to talk for awhile, asking me questions about
my hike.  I couldn't enjoy it where I normally love to visit with anyone
about the PCT.  I pretended I was talking to my husband on my cell phone...
so he finally road off.

That section is really easy to get thru if you stay the night at Jack Fairs
old place....why can't I remember what its called now??  I've stayed there
the past two years  - it’s a crazy place but I've enjoyed it both times.

HJ/SS