[pct-l] Microspikes

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 12:45:15 CST 2012

"Specifically, we both just purchased Kahtoola KTS Microspikes, and Ned's
description of them here as "utterly worthless" is, to say the least, a bit
concerning. Anyone else care to comment?"

I'm sure you'll get other comments on this, but ... my reading was that
they proved utterly worthless in the context of a traverse, i.e., I presume
we're talking about side-hill gouging along something fairly steep.
My own experience at this has been more positive, and I wonder if the size
of the shoe relative to the microspike rubber bits is the key factor there.
 I've used microspikes in quite a wide range of activities and never had
one roll off to the side of the shoe.

My starting trail partner and I used microspikes going SOBO on the CDT last
year in what turned out to be a pretty high snow year for Montana.  We
found the microspikes to be excellent.  We hiked on and off with a couple
who were carrying full-on crampons, and we used our microspikes a lot more.
 There can be a lot of conditions where full crampons are actually more
dangerous to use, or where you're going through a lot of snow/no-snow
stretches.  With microspikes if you have a relatively short rocky or dirt
stretch you just keep them on, and walk more comfortably that way than you
would with full crampons.

I don't suggest that they're as good as "real" crampons in all conditions
--- definitely not.  You need to get used to what they'll do for you and
what they won't and adjust your process and perhaps route choices
accordingly.   But I'm a really big fan, and particularly so in using them
in consolidated spring snow of the type you should anticipate in the
Sierras in June.

All that said, you might not need them, it depends much on the year.  They
weren't needed in 2008 when I did the PCT, and I'm certain they weren't
needed this year.  Last year, perhaps they were, or at least would have
been much more worth the weight to carry.   But in a relatively high snow
year, I'd mail microspikes to Kennedy Meadows and carry them perhaps as far
as Sonora Pass.

I've used a no-longer-extant ULA light crampon device (on the PCT briefly
in 2008).  I've used Yak-traks a fair bit (in icy conditions on the AT).  I
own a pair of 10-point aluminum crampons.   I've borrowed/rented full-on
steel 12-point crampons for climbing.   If I were bringing any traction aid
into the Sierras in June, it would be microspikes.

          Brian Lewis / Gadget