[pct-l] raingear

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 25 19:14:35 CST 2012

Donna White wrote:

"it appears as if the AT is an easier one that the PCT. If one is new to
this type of hike do you think tackling the AT would be a good trainer
if you will for the PCT?"

On the contrary, Donna.  In my experience, the PCT was the far easier
trail.  I did the PCT's 2650 miles in 5 mos.  It took me 6 mos. to do
the AT's 2175 miles.

That said, you will likely experience some walking on snow in the High
Sierra and some knee deep, scarey fords there also, depending on snow
pack and speed of melt.  You won't get much, if any, experience with
either on the AT to help you prepare for the PCT. The one thing that is
a bit scary for those who haven't done it, is the distance from the
trail to resupply towns.  That is, until one realizes that there's
absolutely nothing between the trail and that distant resupply town.

Fundamentally, a PCT thru-hike is a series of 5-day backpacking trips
interspersed with town stops for resupply.

I've hiked all three triple crown trails.  I've said many times that the
only one I'm inclined to do again is the PCT.

Happy Hiking,

Rick "Handlebar" Ostheimer