[pct-l] Sleepin Bag

Chris Curtiss kelsocurtiss at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 19:00:29 CST 2012

I'm currenttly looking for a new sleeping bag for my 2013 pct thru hike.
I've currently got my digital army 4 part sleep system that can adjust from
30 degrees to -50 degrees. The issue is that it weighs about 8.5 lbs packed
and can take a lot of space. Has anyone used or seen any thru hikers using
a military style sleep on the trail. I've relied on this bag in the most
extreme of heat, cold, rain, and snow. I've actually woke up to find myself
covered in a few inches of snow and had no idea it was that cold that night
while sleeping. My original thought was to continue shopping REI used gear
sales every weekend looking for an equally efficient but lighter bag. Then
I started reading the the posts on here about sleeping bags and saw that
most hikers are using $300-$500 sleeping bags. The Marmot Helium looks
nice, but I'm a college student with limited funds and can't fork out
$399. I'm now thinking that 8.5lbs is looking more tempting than a new
costly bag. Any advice or usefull info here?