[pct-l] Seeking advice on obtaining permission to stay in the US on a tourist visa long enough to thru-hike

Fred Walters fredwalters2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 06:01:43 CST 2012

As I understand it, entry under visa waiver program is 90 days, but I
thought that using a visa allows you to be given up to 6 months.  Having a
visa does not ensure you will be allowed even into the country and how long
you will be given.  The port of entry officers make those decision (not
consulates or embassies who issue visas).  However, given that the US wants
tourists and visitors (or they would not issue visas to start with!), I
would expect that if you explain your intent at the border they will give
you enough time (max 6 months).  You have to be sensible at the border - I
was once visiting for business and they held me for several hours and the
only reason I could think of was that I was dresses really scruffy (ripped
T-shirt, old torn jeans, etc.) until eventually they searched my luggage
and found computer tapes and media and realised my story was true at which
point all was fine.  Once in the US you can apply for an extension but that
takes time and I don't know the processes.

But do check with the US Visa Service in your country - DONT RELY ON MY
UNDERSTANDING!.  In the UK that is a premium rate number you have to pay
for.  But is you search around their web site, once a month (or so) they do
a 1 hour online chat where people can type in questions and get answers
without calling premium numbers (and the people at the Visa Service end of
the chat know their stuff so can answer questions like this easily).

Also, check your visa is still valid.  I have a B1/B2 visa that is marked
valid forever (can't remember the exact words).  However, the US Visa
Service has invalidated all such visas so if I tried to use it I would get
nowhere and have to apply for a new visa.

The same issue will apply to me when I get to do the hike and should for
some unexpected reason I get given insufficient time, my "Plan B" is to
leave into Mexico for a day or 2 and re-enter and try for longer at a
different port of entry with different officers.  But I very much doubt
this would be necessary as can't see why they would not give you the time
you need if they believe your reasons, etc.

Fred