[pct-l] Seeking advice on obtaining permission to stay in the US on a tourist visa long enough to thru-hike

Gideon Scher gideonscher at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 04:56:26 CST 2012

I am planning to thru-hike the trail next year and need advice on how to
attain permission to remain in the US for more than the regular period
granted automatically to foreign nationals entering the US on a tourist
visa. I already have a valid 10 year multiple entry tourist visa. So
entering the country is not the big issue. But I would like to to obtain
permission to stay long enough to thru-hike *prior* to arriving at a US
airport/port of entry. I would hate to plan everything for my 2013
thru-hike only to be granted a short stay when I land in the US. If anyone
knows the procedure/the way to get such permission, please let me know.