[pct-l] Early Start for Through Hike

Ernie Castillo erniec01 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 14 12:41:21 CST 2012

Amy wrote: I am planning on hiking my first time through the PCT this year, and I would like to get an early start.  I am able to start by the end of February/beginning of March.  I was wondering if anyone knows the earliest time to start a through hike that would still be safe all around.

In 1980, my buddies and I -- all native Southern Californians -- delayed a planned late February start and left Campo early March. So did several other parties. We encountered snow beyond Mt. Laguna, waited out a blizzard on top of Mt. San Jacinto, and sat out a snowstorm beyond Wrightwood. That said, we were prepared for it. (We were what are known today as "heavy truckers.") My buddies shared a 4-person Jansport dome tent, splitting the weight; I carried a 2-person Jansport "wedge". I had lots of clothing. Looking back, snow hiking was one of the highlights, especially in our native territory.

The Sierras had unusually high snowfall that year but I don't think starting any later would have avoided that issue. There was still skiing at Mammoth Memorial weekend before an earthquake emptied that resort area.

Because of an injury, I was out 6 weeks and joined up with my buddies, and others, in Independence. We I don't believe any of them traversed the Sierras below Tahoe. Some of the "herd" that year even walked Highway 395. One pair of hikers "hop-scotched" around the Sierras and crossed my path as they were heading southbound.

One day out of Tahoe, we were hit with another blizzard but simply waited it out. (I recall something like 60 hours.) A side-trip to a ski resort allowed us to re-supply.

The current logic is to start in April so you will get a lot of advice along those lines. But trying to predict the weather is, well, like trying to predict the winner of a close presidential race.

One advantage to starting early is that you can keep your mileage down to what feels comfortable. For us, we were happy starting out with daily mileage in the low teens. Even at my peak, my mileage would pale in comparison to some of today's hikers. The most miles I hiked in one day was 29 in Northern California followed by a 26-miler. But again, I was toting a full tent, walking in 5-pound leather boots, and carrying lots of camera gear. It was just the way I chose to enjoy the PCT.

Bottom line: hike your own hike.

Ernie Castillo
PCT Class of 1980