[pct-l] Early Start for Through Hike

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 12:06:44 CST 2012

I began at Campo on 4-12-10.  It was a very cold spring and we ended up
living and hiking through a lot of snow in the Sierra, many weeks worth.
 But the most dangerous ice and snow was on Fuller Ridge in the San Jacinto
mountains, the first really high mountains you come to.  Early is a great
time to hike the lower elevations in SoCal, but you climb to 9 and 10,000
feet right above Palm Springs and Los Angeles and the snow can be
formidable.  To have road walked the San Jacinto mountains would have been
a real shame as the views and Alpine country up top is simply stunning and
such a dramatic contrast to the beauty of the desert below.  I'd start a
bit later and enjoy the spring, you'll probably still get plenty of snow
before the end of he hike, but that is always the call of the late season
weather Gods.

Good luck and have a wonderful summer,

Shroomer