[pct-l] Monkey (9yrs old) is YOUNGEST to complete PCT

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 16:39:07 CST 2012

I have to say, that when I encountered Barracuda with his dad at Blue Lake I was really impressed with him. He approached and asked Love Bug and me if we were looking for places to camp and suggested several ( we pressed on to Green Lake) and generally seemed much more mature than his years.  Quite the conversationalist.  Incidentally, Blue Lake is about 20 miles south of the highway you use to hitch down to Trout Lake in Southern Washington.

When we again spoke in Stehekin I found nothing to change my original opinion of him. I bought him some ice cream as a group of us sat at the tables by Lake Chelan. As I recall, the family is from the White Salmon area by the Columbia. Any claim to a thru didn't originate with him or his father. He was pretty matter of fact about skipping.  I felt bad for him when I heard about the thru claim since it put him in a difficult position; one he shouldn't have to be in considering his accomplishment.

I confess that in the past I have had mixed feelings about children being on the trail, but from what I've seen, Balls and Sunshine, etc., it seems to be a beneficial experience.

Sent from my iPad