[pct-l] PCT in spring

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Nov 8 21:53:01 CST 2012

Good evening, Ryan,

Mid-March is far too early for Oregon unless you have the time, patience,
experience, and equipment for 350-400 miles of snowpack.  The “pack” of
thru-hikers us usually in Oregon in August, and even then -- depending upon
the year -- there can be lots of residual snowpack.

The mosquitoes follow the receding snow.  There’s usually an interesting
situation at that time:  Hiking over 4’ of snowpack in shorts and a
tee-shirt, sweating in the sun, and being eaten alive by mosquitoes.

Here’s a photo of snow where the PCT crosses Oregon’s Santiam Pass in May
of a moderately heavy snow year.
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=335261

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye