[pct-l] Thru hike Survival style

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 6 13:13:06 CST 2012

Fireweed wrote:

I just have to laugh at modern sensibility--the myth of the strong
independent person living off the land, void of community. Communities were
what allowed people to live off the land. Jon Krakauer wrote the book "Into
the Wild" about a misguided soul who thought he could exist without
community. He didn't have the traditional ecological knowledge gotten from
elders and was a lone maverick who thought he could achieve some kind of
existential "purity". We live in a different kind of community
now--especially on the PCT --living off the land for hikers means packing
your own food, being grateful for trail magic, accepting the gifts of trail
angels, and helping each other out on the trail.

Really excellent point, thank you!

Eric