[pct-l] Thru hike Survival style

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Tue Nov 6 12:35:56 CST 2012

When people lived off the land they lived in groups so they could
process the food in an efficient manner. If you kill a big animal how
will you process all the meat? You can't wait around until all the meat
dries. Acorns were a staple food for some of the indigenous people who
lived near the PCT. But they take a long time to process--drying,
husking, grinding and leeching the tannins out.

I just have to laugh at modern sensibility--the myth of the strong
independent person living off the land, void of community. Communities
were what allowed people to live off the land. Jon Krakauer wrote the
book "Into the Wild" about a misguided soul who thought he could exist
without community. He didn't have the traditional ecological knowledge
gotten from elders and was a lone maverick who thought he could achieve
some kind of existential "purity". We live in a different kind of
community now--especially on the PCT --living off the land for hikers
means packing your own food, being grateful for trail magic, accepting
the gifts of trail angels, and helping each other out on the trail.

Well--this touches a soap box topic for me so I'll quit. I have been
backpacking since 1971 and worked and lived in backwoods areas for 30
years, so I'm not a city person.
--Fireweed