[pct-l] Worst parts of the trail and ways to get though

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 17:06:47 CDT 2012

Clare, heed the advise you have beeen given and just show up at the trail -
partners if desired will be there.

As far as attempting to convince someone to do a thru hike - its a bad
idea.  A sucessful thru hike is something that must be desired by the
person hiking.  At times the hike is tiring and demanding.  To enjoy it you
have to want to be there - have a drive and desire to do something a bit
out there.  Without this drive I would expect that whoever you "talked into
going" would drop out after a few weeks or months - I've seen this before,
mostly couples where one person really wanted this and the other was just
going along.   It is possible that the desire will develop with the miles
on the trail but I wouldn't count on it.

To reiterrate the first point, if you don't want to be alone on the trail
you wont be.  The way the trail works, the meeting up with others during a
thru hike is hard to imagine or describe until you've done it. Its just
part of that trail magic.

Day-Late