[pct-l] Sleeping bag help, please

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue May 29 19:28:50 CDT 2012

Not that I'm the biggest expert on this topic by any means, but as a
woman who is always cold with what I think is a slow metabolism, I
was surprised how well I adapted to the trail. I was rarely super
cold. Only a few nights was I ever too cold to get a decent night's
sleep. Usually that was because I tried not to get up to go pee. I
soon learned to just do it.

I had a zero degree bag at first but it took up too much room so I
bought a 20 degree quilt instead. I worried I would freeze but I
didn't. Sometimes I wore my rain gear to sleep and sometimes two hats
but so what. Most of the summer I was way too hot!

Lately, even as a wimp-ass section hiker, I've been taking just a
torso-length foam pad and using a plastic bag under my legs and my
pack under my feet. I'm just as warm.

I'm using the same quilt I used to hike from Big Bear to Canada.
Never washed. Doesn't stink. Still lofty. It's worth it to buy
quality. It'll last.

Recently I bought a 45 degree wearable quilt from Jacks-R-Better.
Looks ridiculous when worn but I have to say it's the best invention.
I can wear it sitting by the campfire on my regular backpack trips
(thru hikers rarely have campfires) and it keeps my knees warm
because I'm short and it is long. I admit to bringing it AND my down
quilt on a few trips and sleeping with double sleeping bags. If I
needed a new bag I would get the Jacks-R-Better 20 degree quilt. I
like their quality. I like that you can open it square and flat.

Oh that reminds me. I think Steele-eye said once that 900 fill is too
light for sleeping bags. Too prone to moisture and collapse of loft.
He might be right. But I did get the Jacks-R-Better 900 fill and it
seems okay so far.