[pct-l] DSLR Camera

Tom Holz tom.holz at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 23:40:06 CDT 2012

My advice is to take the DLSR you want to take.  You can always mail it
home if you find yourself not using it, or swap it for a smaller point
and shoot at some point.  I carried about 30 ounces of camera gear on my
2010 thruhike, and brought back several thousand pictures that I'm
really thrilled with.

In any case, carry more memory cards than you think you will need, and
mail them to someone to backup, or bounce a small laptop to do it
yourself in town, because clearing out photos every day to make room for
more is a big chore after a full hiking day.  I'd also recommend keeping
your camera as handy as possible.  I used a really dorky hip-pouch so
that I could pull out my camera on very short notice.  It was packed
away for a couple river fords, and I definitely missed some great
opportunities there..

Anyhow, you can do *really* well with a nice point and shoot these days,
but if your heart is set on carrying a heavier setup, go for it.  Here's
what I did on my 2010 thruhike:

The bulk of my camera weight was a micro four-thirds Panasonic DMC-GF1
with the f/1.7 20mm kit prime (equivalent to 40mm on a 35mm camera).
The camera, lens, batteries, and charger together were around 17-18
ounces.  The larger micro four-thirds sensor combined with the fast lens
meant that I was able to take clear candid photos around camp where a
point and shoot would have shot blurry.  Some of my absolute favorite
pictures from the hike came off this camera.

I also carried a second point and shoot camera for macro, wideangle, and
telephoto (Panasonic DMC-ZR1, swapped halfway for a Canon S90).  The
second camera weighed less than a second lens for the GF1.  I used the
point and shoot mainly for landscapes, macro, and daytime situations
where there was enough light for the smaller P&S sensor.

Good luck,
Bigfoot

PS - Here's the kind of pictures I was taking on the PCT:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomholz/sets/72157623833837731/