[pct-l] Sierras in early to mid-October

gschenk1 at roadrunner.com gschenk1 at roadrunner.com
Mon Mar 19 12:00:56 CDT 2012

Early to mid-October is a crap shoot in the Sierra. Early winter storms are possible, especially later in the month. Days are shorter, nights are much colder.

I've hiked/backpacked in late September and early October in the Sierra and it can be magnificent. Just be ready for cold nights, and be ready to bail because of weather. Knowing how to read clouds can help.

I think you'd be OK, but it can snow in October. Ultralight would not be the way to go.

If it was me, I'd start at Tuolumne mid-September and head south to Kennedy Meadows. September is the best month in the Sierra.

Gary