[pct-l] Nook Simple Touch--feedback, anyone?

be hope bh.csuchico at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 00:33:35 CDT 2012

>Does anyone have any experience with this device?  Can you give me your
>critique?

See the two posts on this list on Mar 7 re "Nook" (Simple Touch)

It's easy to read in a variety of positions with a Nook, even when cowboy
camping with a headnet and/or headlamp.

Like one can snuggle with a book, ya can snuggle with a Nook ~~ even in a
wilderness.

I went in to B & N a couple of months ago and they did the software
upgrade; they told me the battery is now good for about 2 months @ about 1
hour a day.

For 34 bucks, B & N will sell you a 2 year no-questions-asked replacement
guarantee if your Nook gets broken, "or goes in the water."   (yea, I
bought it !)

I made a lightweight "cover" for my Nook with styrofoam, construction
adhesive (glue), and duct tape. Generally the Nook went in the top portion
of my pack.  While the styrofoam took a severe beating on the trail last
year, the Nook still looks new.

B & N is having a $20 off on the Nook this weekend if you purchase with a
Master Card.

B & N "Members" get $10 off on a Nook Simple Touch

B & N ebooks may be cheaper than the B & N paperback.

B & N will upload unsolicited B & N reading "suggestions" to your Nook:
 ugh.  But there are are no ads.

One you set up your Nook account, you just need a Wi-Fi connection to
purchase/download books.  One can set this up with credit card info stored:
 so an "enter password" is required to make the purchase at check-out.

The lightweight plug/cord that comes with the Nook for recharging is such
that the plug detaches from the cord.  Then the cord can be used to link
the Nook to a PC. So if a Nook book purchase is made via the PC, the ebook
it can then be downloaded onto the Nook.  (See the Mar 7 post for more
details on downloads).

At 7.4 oz, the Nook Simple Reader weighs less and is smaller than the 500
page paperback that I planned to carry last year.  After purchasing the
Nook, I purchased that paperback as an ebook for $9.99.  Plus downloaded a
bunch of free stuff.  (The Kindle e-Reader is 5.98 oz; but it was not out
last summer)

I plan to "PDF" my camera manual and upload it on the Nook.  Maybe I can
learn about all those camera settings out on the trail this year.

 I like the cyber keyboard that allows one to take notes within the B & N
ebooks; ie, on a specific page; a specific passage.  (See Mar 7 post for
note-taking limitations).

The touch screen, ePrint,  and all the bells and whistles work just fine.

It is possible to "loan" your Nook ebooks to other Nookers.  It is only
time before    a version of a Book Club and book discussions takes place on
the trail supported with eReaders.  And it would be nice if students /
faculty could conceive, construct, and implement trail research / writing
projects that would allow students to earn academic units in conjunction
with an e-Reader while hiking the PCT.

The Nook quickly became part of my daily trail time.  At the end of the
day, or before a midday siesta,  I enjoyed "Nook-time".

My concern (critique ?) is the B & N software restrictions / limitations.
 Perhaps a routed Nook or routed Kindle is the way to go.  See Mar 7 post
by Jim V; do some googling.

Barney
aka "be hope"