[pct-l] 900 Fill Down

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Mar 16 20:16:07 CDT 2012

Good evening, John,

The volume-per-weight indicator for bag insulation has a continuum between
900-fill goose-down all the way down to the kapok fill that was often used
when I was a kid.  I have no idea how the kapok fill would be rated, but
not high; maybe about 15-20.  The comment from Jordan didn’t say what he
believes is acceptable, but if 900-fill is a poor choice, I’m close because
I use a popular make/model of bag with 850-fill – a bag that I find is
perfectly acceptable.

The question is more about how to compromise, and my choice is to go to the
high-end down.  I have a synthetic bag equally as warm as my 850-fill down
bag, but it weighs considerably more.  I wouldn’t even consider it for
anything but car-camping.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/