[pct-l] Hiking the PCT

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Mar 13 19:10:47 CDT 2012

Phil,

There, really, is no better place to discover the important things in your
life than on the long trail!

Right, everyone?

Before you get locked into a job you hate, a girlfriend you're not totally
committed to, or debts that won't let you take the requisite time off, DO
THE TRAIL NOW!

People come to the PCT or CDT from all aspects of life and with all manner
of life's questions on their hearts. Some want to run away, some want to run
to, and some wonder why they need to run at all any more. Some want to know
the meaning of life, some want to know where they fit in, and some just want
to know what they're supposed to do with their life.

The longer you can remain on the trail, the more these answers will come to
you. Funny how short weekend trips into the woods don't usually give you
enough time to divest yourself sufficiently of civilization's frenzy in
order to hear what the mountains have to teach!

Start slow. Take your time to get your muscles, tendons, and joints
thru-hiker strong. Keep going. Make lots of trail friends--they'll last a
lifetime!

But, RUN, don't walk to make this happen for you. This listserve will
encourage you, experienced voices will tell you what you need to learn, help
you plan, and applaud you all along the way to your own self-discovery and
empowerment. Ask any prior thru hiker whether the trail changed their lives.
It can and does.

NOW, you need to get going!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director