[pct-l] Fw: Horse etiquette

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Mon Mar 12 19:37:08 CDT 2012

But what if the horse slips and you're below it? :-O
~
I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of horse trains in the wilderness. However, in
many of my wilderness travels with Kelly dog, I have encountered many.  We
each have our right place in the wilderness. However, when I see a horse
rider, group, or train, I always put my safety first.  Kelly usually notices
them first, so I watch and then scan the trail for a safe place for me and
Kelly to get off the trail either up or downhill. If a safe place is not
close due to cliffs, or narrow trail, I will back track to a safe place for
me.  If the land is flat, I go off trail parallel and continue on.  Kelly is
experienced with horses, but I usually pick her up as the horses walk by. I
haven't had a bad moment yet. The horse travelers trek on animals with their
own mind and agenda; I will respect them, however I will seek a safe place
for myself first.