[pct-l] tarp tent

Emily Toby emilytoby at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 8 15:40:30 CST 2012

I had a much different experience with the double rainbow tarp tent by Henry Shires.  We bought ours in 2009 to replace another roomier 2-person UL tent (from another manufacturer) that failed miserably in a high wind while on the trail.
Bristlecone and I have used it for more than 3000 miles on the PCT in the last three years.  It just fit the two of us side-by-side, with enough room for our gear at our heads/feet.  We slept on top of our empty packs with them under our feet, that was our plan anyway, since we used 3/4 length pads and wanted the extra padding/insulation.  We had condensation problems initially in the desert, but learned to leave the vestibule zipper open for better air circulation, never used or tried the liner.  We never used a groundcloth or footprint either, and wouldn't want to add the additional weight.  The floor has held up fine with a  little care about choosing a campsite.
We found it to be damned near bullet proof.  We had no problem with set up, our pole sleeve worked easily, as did stuffing it back into the stuff sack daily.  It held up extremely well under high wind conditions, which our first UL two person tent did not.  It held up nicely under a surprise wet snow load, as well.  One of the zippers ultimately failed, and we sent it back to Henry Shires who gladly replaced the zipper for us and returned it, I don't think he charged us for this.
We also own and have used a single rainbow( which we both slept in for a few nights).  The double is 5 inches wider, and seems roomy compared to sharing a single !!
We own a lot of tents.  And this is our go-to tent for the two of us.
Uber