[pct-l] Another Question: Shoes

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Thu Mar 1 11:23:54 CST 2012

On 3/1/2012 10:10 AM, Tim Gustafson wrote:
> I'm thinking about getting some trail running sneakers, rather than
> big heavy boots, for my section hike from the Mexican border to
> Idylwild or Palm Springs this year.  It seems that it's likely to be
> fairly dry in that section, and the trail is not very technical
> (we're not doing any cliff-facing here or anything), so I'm wondering
> if my feet might be happier in softer, lighter sneakers than bigger,
> heavier boots?

The majority opinion on this list is that your feet will be much happier
in trail runners, especially if you start training in them now so that
your feel can build up the strength that they don't need in boots. You
may want to get them a size bigger than you normally wear (Do they make
shoes that big?) It is not unusual for feet to grow larger in the first
couple hundred miles of the trail. I gained 1 1/2 sizes in 150 miles.