[pct-l] Bear cannisters?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Jun 17 17:00:47 CDT 2012

Good afternoon, Martha,

Mid-day of 31 May ’07 as I passed through Crabtree Meadows a somewhat
humorless young man approached me from a side trail and chatted a bit.  He
said he was out for the day “peak-bagging” but he was dressed in REI casual
attire to “fit in” and he had only a tiny, almost empty, day pack so I
suspect he was a stealth-ranger.

He didn’t ask for my permit, nor did he ask to see my bear ‘can, but its
rather distinctive profile was clearly visible inside and across the bottom
of my GVP-4 pack.  He asked how I liked the Garcia ‘can and I told him it
is OK provided I padded the thing in such a way that it’s circumferential
center rib didn’t contact my back bone.

With that I walked on.  I don’t have much time for someone out-of-place who
won’t state their business.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/