[pct-l] trekking poles

J. Hopkins ic32987 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 12:55:03 CDT 2012

I was looking for lightweight trekking poles that are thru-hike worthy
also, and ended up with Fizan Compact's. I read about them over at
backpackinglight (and there's a gear review on them, also). They aren't
available in the US, so I ordered from ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk. They
were shipped to me (in Boston) from England the same day I placed my order,
and I received them within a week. They were ~$80 US shipped, and I think
weigh in at around 12oz for the pair. They're Al with foam grips.

I was initially trying to avoid the twist locks, but ended up "settling"
for them due to weight savings. I've taken them on one rough 8hr hike on
the AT, and they held up great. I'm 6' and 180lbs, and put my full weight
on them several times without issue. Time will tell, though.