[pct-l] food storage strategy

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Jul 30 10:52:11 CDT 2012

Good morning, Mike,

I’ve been hiking the Mountain West – off and on -- since the 1950s; the
vast majority of the time sleeping under the stars or under an open tarp
rather than in an enclosed tent.  Except where bear ‘cans are required, I
keep my grub in one or two SilNylon sacks at the head of my bed.  I’ve not
lost any food, and only a couple of times have I heard the faint
scritch-scritch-scritch of little night critter poking around, and had to
chase it off.

It probably helps that I avoid – but not entirely – the most prominent
hiker campsites.  That not only avoids many of the experienced
camp-critters, but it also allows the larger sites to be used by groups of
other hikers with tents, since all I need is a mostly flat and level patch
about 2’ x 7’ in size.

Other experienced hikers have tales of mice getting into their chow, but I
do not.  Maybe it’s just good luck.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/