[pct-l] Clothing Options

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 27 02:29:10 CDT 2012

Token Civilian wrote:

Unlike a lot of the folks out there in shorts and short sleeve shirts, I
took a desert dweller / Bedouin view of sun protection - cover up every inch
of skin that was possible.  I wore the long pants and long sleeves with a
wide brim hat.  It wasn't near as hot as some folks imagined as the capaline
and other tech synthetic fabrics wick the sweat to the surface for
evaporation very well.  Plus for me, the sun on the skin just saps my
energy.

Note:  Here's a tip on your clothing.  I'd strongly recommend considering
going "commando" under the hiking pants / shorts as the extra layer of
fabric just holds sweat / moisture, salt crust and dust / dirt directly on
the skin increasing your chances of developing a chafing condition that can
knock you off the trail.

I agree with covering up in the sun.  I'm especially a fan of long pants - I
know some people like to hike in shorts, and that's great for them, but
between the sun, the bugs, the brush, and the dirt, I'd much rather have my
legs somewhat protected.

I lean the other way in regard to underwear, though.  I've had good success
with UnderArmor shorts that fit somewhat snugly (not the compression models)
and extend halfway down the thigh.  For me, this keeps things from rubbing
where they shouldn't.  Everyone's body is different, I guess.  Body Glide
and good personal hygiene are good advice in any case, though.

Eric