[pct-l] Clothing options

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Jul 26 20:58:31 CDT 2012

Good evening, Travis,

I don't think I can answer your question.  As a patriot and a veteran I
also prefer to buy products of USA, but these days trying to be pure is a
daunting – and probably hopeless – task.  I once bought a windshirt from a
big-name US gear provider and was happy with it for about a year until it
failed.  As I was grumbling about it, a friend looked at the tag and said,
“Here’s the problem:  It was made in Russia!”  Well, that reason wasn’t
true because what failed was the zipper, and the zipper had been made by
YKK of Japan -- probably the largest zipper manufacturer in the world.  I’ve
used dozens of YKK zippers and they work well.

So, with something as simple as a windshirt, where did it come from?  Being
synthetic, most of it started as oil.  Who’s oil?  Where was the resulting
plastic made into filament, woven into fabric, cut, assembled with other
components, and treated before having a US company’s name sewed on?

I usually wear a brand of sneakers – one of the few and maybe the only ones
– that are made in USA, but I’ll admit I buy them because they are
available in generous widths rather than because of the location of the
final assembly plant.  I have no idea where their materials and components
are made.

I have devolved into someone who now looks for the most appropriate item in
terms of function and weight – not the biggest name, not the most or least
expensive, and certainly not the most popular or fashionable.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/