[pct-l] first-come-first-serve permits for JMT

Jeff Eckert jape1 at cox.net
Tue Jul 24 22:33:58 CDT 2012

If  you're hiking after labor day I suspect you'd have a good shot at being a walk on.  If you're hiking before, you might consider hiking NOBO instead.  Begin your hike at Horseshoe Meadow to the PCT via Trail Pass.  Unless they've changed the rules, there are no quotas getting onto the JMT that way.

Depending on how fit you are, and what kind of miles you want to do the first day, you're about a day and maybe a half from the JMT right below Whitney.  If acclimation isn't a problem you can even day hike to the top from the west, and won't need a permit.  That way you could tag the start of the JMT southern terminus.

It is a more abrupt start, but look at it this way.  You're last two days will be mostly downhill into the Valley.

If you're willing to bypass Yosemite Park boundries, I've never had a problem walking on at Mammoth.  There are several trailheads from which to choose.  You can even hike in via June Lake and pop out real close to Donahue pass.