[pct-l] Cost of thru hiking

Clifford McDonald clifmcdon at comcast.net
Tue Jul 24 18:59:38 CDT 2012

I'm surprised that no one yet has considered the cost of staying home and
not hiking. You still have to eat whether or not you are on the trail or
home. Subtract the daily coffee trips to Starbucks, gas and auto expenses
and hundreds of other things you are tempted to spend money on in the city,
and you might actually save money by being in the wilderness. Cancel your
cable TV and Internet service for a few months, sublet your home, and think
of other ways you might save.  As for myself, I'm retired and haven't much
to do other than pay big bucks to chase a golf ball around a country club
course or hike in the wilderness for free . I can without difficulty save
$50 a day or easily much more by hiking. Or, perhaps you are still dependent
on your parents and live at home for free; in this case I can understand how
$10 a day for trail food is an unnecessary expense.