[pct-l] Newbie - 'alone in the dark' freak outs on the trail

Inga Aksamit iaksamit at aol.com
Wed Jul 11 14:54:35 CDT 2012

I did the exact same thing. When I first started backpacking I could hardly get any sleep at night worrying about all the noises and being certain that a bear was tearing apart our camp, only to find everything undisturbed in the morning. I took a prescription sleeping pill (I think I just took half) for a couple of nights and it helped tremendously but felt out of place in the wilderness. Then I, like one of the others, hit on ear plugs and it fixed the problem. I used them for a long time, maybe a couple of years, and though I still carry them I don't use them any more--now I like the sounds of the wind rustling through the trees and the chirping of birds in the morning.

Inga Aksamit t

About Me: http://about.me/IngasAdventures