[pct-l] Russian Wilderness snow conditions

Susan Virnig susan at newstories.org
Mon Jul 2 21:21:23 CDT 2012

I'm section hiking P, Q and R starting the middle of next week (Castle Crags to Ashland).  Thanks to all of you who gave me such good information in May when I wrote with questions.  A special thanks to "are-we-there-yet" for all your help.

I just heard today, July 2, that the snow conditions in the Russian Wilderness are pretty dicy.  Still lots of snow on those steep traverses and not great alternatives.  Has anyone heard from a hiker who's been through there recently?  I probably won't get there until around July 15, so I'm hoping the weather will stay warm and dry so that the melt will continue.  I'll have my hiking poles, but should I be taking an ice ax as well?

--Susan from Spokane