[pct-l] Carrying extra water, which container(s) do you use?

Anne Estoppey anne_estoppey at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 1 09:11:06 CDT 2012

Thanks everybody for your replies :)

Yes by reading your answers I realize 6 liters are already considered as 'plenty' :)

In April this year I day hiked in Bryce and Zion, during the few days when it was quite hot (90s). In these conditions and in a bit more than half a day I realized I could quickly drink 3 liters. So 6 liters for let's say a couple of days, indeed I will need to use some time before PCT to acclimatize. I have planned to spend parts of March and April 2013 in Utah exactly for that (and gear testing). This year I needed about 3 weeks to get used to the super dry air when I was traveling around on the Colorado Plateau.

I have lived many years in Norway, and I am from Switzerland, so hot deserts and lack of water are a challenge for me... And in addition, in Norway you don't need to filter the water while hiking in the mountains... :-P

The platypus sound just great, I will go for it. A couple of them. And the idea of recycling 1-2 Gatorade bottles sounds just fine. What I don't 100% like with the platys is that since there are in the backpack, you cannot see how much you've been drinking... so I will have to gear test this too :)

Cheerios to everybody from France :)
Anne